Susan Minamizono passionately advocates for her clients in insurance coverage disputes, bad faith litigation, and high-value personal injury claims. She has been recognized for her work by Colorado Super Lawyers in the area of insurance coverage since 2019 and received the Consumer Protection Award in 2021 from the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association. Susan helps individuals and businesses recover insurance benefits that were wrongfully denied or delayed. She has spoken at various seminars on topics related to insurance bad faith and coverage disputes.
Her accomplishments include:
- Negotiated six-figure settlements with automobile insurers for their failure to properly compensate their insureds for their injuries and losses pursuant to uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverages
- Numerous successful appeals of denials of benefits by disability and health insurers
- Successfully reversed the denial by an insurance company to defend a multimillion–dollar franchise in an employment discrimination action
- High six-figure settlement for a business client whose insurer failed to defend it in a lawsuit involving disputes arising from a leasing agreement
- High six-figure settlement for clients who were sexually assaulted by a judgment-proof employer, after effectively arguing the ambiguity of certain provisions in an employment practices liability insurance policy
- Six-figure settlement paid under a homeowner’s policy for hail damage
- Insurance policy coverage review for individual, business, and non-profit policyholders
Susan is well-acquainted with the workings of the insurance industry as a former insurance defense attorney who specialized in product liability, construction defect, and personal injury law. Her prior legal experience also includes serving as general counsel for a talent acquisition firm that partnered with technology start-ups in the Silicon Valley.
Susan is devoted to serving the community and enjoys volunteering her time in various endeavors, including actively participating in committees that evaluate legislative bills that affect the rights of citizens in Colorado, offering pro-bono legal services to trafficking survivors and immigrant clients, presenting mock trials to educate middle and high school students regarding hate crimes, and advancing the recognition of women in the profession of law. She is truly grateful to live in Colorado and enjoys exploring the outdoors with her family.